Eating Clean and Saving the World at the same…

Eating Clean and Saving the World at the same time!

Blog post by Asha Suppiah, Co-founder of Water Well-ness Project – Get free updates of new blog posts here.

 

At Water Well-ness Project our major aim is to work towards a world where EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the planet has access to clean water. To make this a reality we must conserve water and really be mindful of the things we do everyday that use water. The need to take quick action is being made abundantly clear by how quickly water shortages are hitting the United States. With talks about exporting Canada’s water to the United States, water shortages in Canada will undoubtedly become a reality very soon. If you consider the combination of water pollution, climate change and increasing water demands, problems in Canada are a definite possibility if we do not make any changes.

Why should we care? The first obvious reason is that we require water to survive. WATER IS LIFE. But another reason we often overlook is that as water resources dwindle the prices of everything will increase. Already we have been experiencing increase in prices of our produce due to droughts in many regions of the world. Soon this price hike will be seen in many other day-to-day products.

Although only 10% of world water withdrawals are for domestic purposes, we drive the other 90% (70% for agriculture, 20% for industry like manufacturing and energy production) with our everyday choices. So you can see how critical it is for us to monitor our eating habits to help save our planet! The great news is that eating clean also means eating water consciously. As we all know everything we eat has a water foot-print and the more processed a food product is the more water is used to produce the product. So by eating more vegetables and fruits and other fresh foods you are definitely being more water conscious. Something that people often don’t think about is how much water is used to produce the meat, fish and chicken we eat. 1 kg of beef costs anywhere between 15,000 L and 70,000 L of water. 1 kg of pork costs 4800 L of water. 1 kg of chicken costs between 3500 L and 5700 L of water. Whereas healthier foods like Tomatoes cost around 237L / kg and Cabbage cost around 237 L /kg. Generally eating a more plant-based diet will result in eating a more water conscious diet. We are not however saying that everyone should stop eating chicken, meat or fish. Obviously this is your own personal decision. But even reducing the amount you eat can make a difference on your health, your water foot-print and your wallet. In addition as the water crisis worsens a lot of these water-heavy products will become more and more expensive.


Return to Water Well-ness Project’s blog main page.

Share: